Parkinson’s disease is a degenerative condition that leads to debilitating symptoms. Many studies have shown that Paraquat, a toxic herbicide, may lead to the development of this condition. If you were diagnosed with Parkinson’s after being exposed to Paraquat, you have the right to file a lawsuit – and the New York Paraquat lawsuit attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help.
Why Hire Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC for Your New York Paraquat Lawsuit?
- Our Paraquat attorneys represent clients in every state, including New York. We are dedicated to achieving maximum compensation on our clients’ behalf.
- Our firm will maintain a direct line of communication with you throughout your case. You will always be able to ask questions and receive case updates.
- Our firm co-counsels with leading personal injury and mass tort firms to provide our clients with the most comprehensive legal representation possible.
What Is Paraquat?
Paraquat is a popular herbicide that is used to kill weeds and other types of unwanted plants. It is also highly toxic, banned in several countries, and can be fatal if ingested. Paraquat is sold under several brand names, including Bonedry, Firestorm, and Gramoxone.
Does Paraquat Cause Parkinson’s Disease?
Studies show a link between Paraquat exposure and Parkinson’s disease. According to one study from the American Journal of Epidemiology, individuals who lived within 1,600 feet of Paraquat-treated areas had a significantly heightened risk of this condition. Another study found that people exposed while they were teens and young adults had a 200–600 percent higher risk. Learn your legal rights if you or a loved one was recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s after Paraquat exposure by speaking with a New York Paraquat lawyer.
Stages of Parkinson’s Disease
There are five distinct stages of Parkinson’s disease:
- Stage 1 involves the mildest symptoms and usually affect one side of the body.
- Stage 2 symptoms begin to worsen, but the patient retains independence.
- Stage 3 symptoms involve hallmark signs like loss of balance and slowed movements.
- Stage 4 symptoms are severe and limiting, and the patient cannot live alone.
- Stage 5 symptoms are the most severe and the patient is often bedridden.
Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease
Common symptoms of Parkinson’s disease include the following:
- Shaking and tremors
- Rigid and stiff movements
- Impaired posture and balance
- Loss of automatic movements, like blinking or smiling
- Speech and writing changes
- Noticeably slowed movements
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Paraquat Lawsuits in New York?
In New York, you only have three years to file a product liability lawsuit against a manufacturer. For Paraquat victims, this filing deadline is typically based on the date of your Parkinson’s diagnosis. If you believe your condition is related to Paraquat, it is important to act quickly and speak with a New York Paraquat lawyer – if you do not file on time, the court will dismiss your case.
New York Paraquat Lawsuits
Under New York law, you have the right to file a lawsuit if you developed Parkinson’s disease after being exposed to Paraquat. Through your claim, you can recover compensation related to the economic and non-economic damages you sustained due to the condition, such as medical expenses, mental anguish, and lost wages.
However, you will need to prove four key facts to secure compensation:
- You developed Parkinson’s disease.
- Paraquat is defective.
- Paraquat’s defect caused your condition.
- You were using the product as the manufacturer intended.
The New York Paraquat lawsuit attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you prove each of these elements and fight for your right to compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Florida Paraquat Lawyer
Are you a Parkinson’s disease patient who was exposed to Paraquat? The lawyers at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you hold the manufacturer accountable. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a Paraquat lawsuit attorney in New York.