Exposure to the herbicide Paraquat can lead to debilitating, often fatal complications – including the development of Parkinson’s disease. If you have sustained injuries after Paraquat exposure, the California Paraquat lawsuit attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. We represent California residents in their claims against Paraquat’s manufacturers, holding these companies accountable for their dangerous products.
Why Hire Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC for Your California Paraquat Lawsuit?
- Our firm has over 20 years of experience in product liability litigation. We will leverage our skills and knowledge to craft a compelling case in your favor.
- Our Paraquat lawyers represent clients nationwide, including California. We will partner with top personal injury firms to provide the most comprehensive representation possible.
- We understand that finances can be limited after Paraquat exposure. Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis, meaning that you do not pay legal fees unless we win your case.
What Is Paraquat?
Paraquat is an herbicide used to kill weeds and other unwanted plants on plantations, orchards, and commercial farms of all sizes. It is highly toxic and banned in several countries – except for the United States. Paraquat is a restricted use product, meaning that only licensed applicators can purchase and use it.
Does Paraquat Cause Parkinson’s Disease?
Paraquat damages the nerves responsible for producing dopamine, a neurotransmitter. Loss of dopamine can lead to the development of Parkinson’s disease. According to a study by the University of Guelph, exposure to Paraquat raises the risk of Parkinson’s disease by 250 percent. Consult a California Paraquat lawyer immediately if you or a loved one was recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and were routinely exposed to Paraquat. You may be entitled to compensation.
Stages of Parkinson’s Disease
Experts classify Parkinson’s disease into five stages based on symptom severity:
- Stage one is the mildest stage of Parkinson’s disease. Patients may experience tremors and other mobility symptoms on one side of the body.
- Stage two involves a gradual worsening of the condition. Symptoms may appear on both sides of the body and walking problems may occur.
- Stage three Parkinson’s disease involves symptoms such as loss of balance and slow movements. Performing tasks alone becomes more difficult.
- Stage four involves severe and limited symptoms. Patients may need help with daily activities and require a walker.
- Stage five is the most advanced stage of Parkinson’s disease. Patients are often bedridden, require live-in care, and cannot move without mobility equipment.
Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease symptoms begin slowly and worsen over time. Some of the most common symptoms include the following:
- Loss of smell
- Tremors or shaking in the hands
- Loss of facial expressions
- Stiffness while walking
- Difficulty standing
- Noticeably smaller handwriting
- Sleep disorders
- Fatigue and dizziness
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Paraquat Lawsuits in California?
In California, product liability lawsuits are subject to a rule known as the statute of limitations. This law sets a deadline for filing a lawsuit in civil court; if you do not file on time, the court will dismiss your case. You and your California Paraquat lawsuit attorney have two years from the date of your Parkinson’s disease diagnosis to file a Paraquat lawsuit in California.
California Paraquat Lawsuits
If you developed Parkinson’s disease after being exposed to Paraquat, you could file a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the herbicide. Through your lawsuit, you can recover compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and non-economic damages, known as pain and suffering. The California Paraquat attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can represent your claim and craft a compelling case in your favor, helping you hold the manufacturer accountable.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a California Paraquat Lawyer
If you have been exposed to Paraquat, the attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can represent you in your claim against the toxic chemical’s manufacturers. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a Paraquat lawsuit attorney in California and learn more about your legal options.