Many Minnesota residents live with Parkinson’s disease, a degenerative condition that affects patients’ physical, emotional, and financial well-being. Paraquat, a toxic chemical, may lead to the development of this condition. If you developed Parkinson’s disease after being exposed to Paraquat, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the herbicide’s manufacturers. In these situations, the Minnesota Paraquat lawsuit attorneys from Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can fight for your right to maximum recovery.
Why Hire Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC for Your Minnesota Paraquat Lawsuit?
- Our Minnesota Paraquat lawyers have over 20 years of experience in personal injury and mass tort litigation, specializing in dangerous consumer products.
- Our firm has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and jury verdicts for our clients.
- Our Paraquat attorneys represent clients in every state, including Minnesota. We partner with leading personal injury and mass tort firms to secure maximum recovery on your behalf.
What Is Paraquat?
Paraquat is a very toxic herbicide that can only be bought and applied by licensed purchasers, such as commercial farmers. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a small amount of Paraquat can be fatal if ingested. In fact, Paraquat is banned in several countries due to its harmful effects—except for the United States.
Does Paraquat Cause Parkinson’s Disease?
Parkinson’s disease, a degenerative neurological condition, may be caused by exposure to Paraquat. According to the Michael J. Fox Foundation, studies of mice found that Paraquat exposure led to a depletion of the neurotransmitter dopamine, which may be linked to the condition. Additionally, a study of rural California residents found that people exposed to Paraquat had a 200–600 percent higher risk of Parkinson’s disease.
Stages of Parkinson’s Disease
There are five stages of Parkinson’s disease. This condition’s symptoms worsen over time:
- Stage 1: Symptoms are mild and affect one side of the body.
- Stage 2: Symptoms begin to worsen and affect both sides of the body.
- Stage 3: Falls are more common and daily tasks are impaired.
- Stage 4: Symptoms are severe and limiting, and patients are unable to live alone.
- Stage 5: Patients are often bedridden and are unable to stand or walk.
Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease begins slowly and worsen over time. Common symptoms include the following:
- Rigid, stiff muscles
- Slowed movements
- Tremors and shaking
- Speech changes
- Writing changes
- Loss of automatic movements
- Impaired posture and balance
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Paraquat Lawsuits in Minnesota?
All civil lawsuits in Minnesota are subject to a rule known as the statute of limitations, which sets a filing deadline for certain claims. If you or your Minnesota Paraquat lawyer do not file within the appropriate timeframe, the court will dismiss your case. You have four years from the date of your diagnosis to file a Paraquat lawsuit.
Minnesota Paraquat Lawsuits
Through a Paraquat lawsuit against the chemical’s manufacturers, you can recover compensatory damages for lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, and more. To secure compensation in your claim, you will need to prove a few key facts:
- You were diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.
- Paraquat is defective.
- Paraquat’s defect caused your condition.
- You were using the product as the manufacturer intended.
Navigating a Paraquat lawsuit can be challenging without an experienced Paraquat lawsuit attorney in Minnesota on your side. In these situations, the lawyers at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help fight for your right to recovery.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Minnesota Paraquat Lawyer
If you developed Parkinson’s disease after being exposed to Paraquat, the lawyers at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you seek justice. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a Minnesota Paraquat lawsuit attorney.