Paraquat, a common herbicide widely used in the United States, may increase people’s risk of Parkinson’s disease. If you were exposed to Paraquat and later developed this condition, you may be eligible for legal action – and a qualified Oregon Paraquat lawsuit attorney at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. Our Paraquat lawyers can help you hold the manufacturer accountable and secure the compensation you deserve.
Why Hire Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC for Your Oregon Paraquat Lawsuit?
- Our firm has over 20 years of experience, specializing in dangerous and defective product litigation.
- We have secured millions of dollars in settlements and jury verdicts, and our Oregon Paraquat lawyers are dedicated to achieving maximum recovery on your behalf.
- Our firm will handle all aspects of your case on your behalf and maintain an open line of communication with you throughout your case.
What Is Paraquat?
Banned in multiple countries, Paraquat is a highly toxic chemical that can lead to serious adverse health effects. As a result, only commercially licensed users can purchase and handle Paraquat. This herbicide is sold under multiple names, including Firestorm, Gramoxone, and Bonedry.
Does Paraquat Cause Parkinson’s Disease?
According to the Michael J. Fox Foundation, Paraquat may increase people’s risk of Parkinson’s disease. For example, one study found that people who lived near fields where Paraquat was used had a significantly higher rate of this condition than other residents in the region. Another study found that farmers that applied or mixed Paraquat had a 200% or higher risk. If you were recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and believe you might have a claim, speak with a knowledgeable Paraquat lawsuit attorney as soon as possible.
Stages of Parkinson’s Disease
Medical experts classify Parkinson’s disease into five stages:
- Stage 1 patients experience mild symptoms, such as tremors and changes in posture and facial expressions.
- Stage 2 patients experience symptoms that begin to worsen, including tremors, rigidity, and movement problems.
- Stage 3 patients experience mid-stage symptoms such as loss of balance and slowness of movements, and falls are more common.
- Stage 4 patients experience severe, limiting symptoms, and are sometimes unable to move without a walker.
- Stage 5 patients have debilitating symptoms and may experience severe stiffness in legs, making it impossible to stand or walk.
Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease
Symptoms of Parkinson’s disease often include the following:
- Rigid muscles
- Slowed movements
- Speech and writing changes
- Impaired balance
- Stooped posture
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Paraquat Lawsuits in Oregon?
Under Oregon law, you have two years from the date of your Parkinson’s disease diagnosis to file a Paraquat lawsuit. If you miss this deadline, the court will likely dismiss your case. If you believe you qualify for a Paraquat lawsuit, speak to a Paraquat attorney in Oregon as soon as possible.
Oregon Paraquat Lawsuits
Through a lawsuit against Paraquat’s manufacturers, you can recover compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other losses related to your Parkinson’s disease diagnosis. However, you will need to prove the following four elements to secure a settlement:
- You were diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.
- Paraquat is defective.
- Paraquat’s defect caused you to develop Parkinson’s disease.
- You were using the product as the manufacturer intended.
To prove these elements, you need scientific evidence, specialized legal knowledge, and documentation of your condition. The Oregon Paraquat lawsuit lawyers at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can leverage the full power of our firm’s resources to craft a compelling case in your favor.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Oregon Paraquat Lawyer
If you believe you qualify for a Paraquat lawsuit, Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and discuss your legal options with an Oregon Paraquat lawsuit attorney.