Parkinson’s disease is an incurable nervous system condition characterized by tremors, stiff muscles, and slowed movements. Research shows that Paraquat, a popular herbicide, may increase your risk of this condition.
If you were diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease after Paraquat exposure, a knowledgeable Maine Paraquat lawsuit attorney at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. Our Paraquat lawyers can represent you in a claim against Paraquat’s manufacturers and hold them accountable for the losses that you endured.
Why Hire Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC for Your Maine Paraquat Lawsuit?
- Our lawyers hold over 20 years of legal experience, specializing in mass tort litigation for dangerous and defective products.
- Our firm represents clients in every state, including Maine. Our attorneys will work diligently to help you secure the compensation that you deserve.
- Our Paraquat lawsuit lawyers believe in honest and open communication. Our firm will always be available to answer your questions and respond to your concerns.
What Is Paraquat?
To kill unwanted weeds and other plants, many Maine farmers and other commercial entities have used products that contain paraquat dichloride. Also known as Paraquat, this toxic chemical is an effective herbicide but a highly dangerous substance. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), just one sip can be fatal.
Does Paraquat Cause Parkinson’s Disease?
Paraquat may increase the risk of Parkinson’s disease. According to a letter from the Michael J. Fox Foundation to the EPA, multiple studies have established a link between Paraquat exposure and up to a 600% higher chance of developing this condition than their peers. A study of farmers who used Paraquat had a 200% higher risk.
Were you or a loved one recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease? Speak with a Maine Paraquat lawyer at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC to learn more about your legal rights.
Stages of Parkinson’s Disease
There are five stages of Parkinson’s disease, classified by symptom severity:
- Stage 1: Mild symptoms with little impact on daily activities
- Stage 2: Worsening symptoms that make tasks lengthy and more difficult
- Stage 3: Mid-stage symptoms that significantly impair activities
- Stage 4: Severe and limiting symptoms that make it impossible to live alone
- Stage 5: Advanced and debilitating symptoms that require around-the-clock care
Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease
Some of the most common signs of Parkinson’s disease include the following:
- Rigid, stiff muscles
- Speech and writing changes
- Tremors or shaking
- Impaired posture and balance
- Noticeable slowed movements
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Paraquat Lawsuits in Maine?
In Maine, you or your Maine Paraquat attorney must file your Paraquat lawsuit within six years of your Parkinson’s disease diagnosis. If you miss the filing deadline and the statute of limitations passes, the court will likely dismiss your case.
Maine Paraquat Lawsuits
If Paraquat may be responsible for your Parkinson’s disease, you may be eligible for legal action. Through a Paraquat lawsuit filed in Maine civil court, you can hold the manufacturers accountable for the physical, emotional, and financial losses you endured.
Common types of compensatory damages available to Maine Paraquat victims include the following:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Disability accommodations
- Lost wages and loss of future earnings
- Physical pain and suffering, such as permanent disability
- Emotional pain and suffering, such as depression and anxiety
To establish your right to compensation, you will need to show that Paraquat is defective and caused your Parkinson’s disease. The Maine Paraquat lawsuit attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC have access to scientific evidence, expert witnesses, and past case strategies that they can leverage to prove your claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Maine Paraquat Lawyer
If you believe that you are eligible for a Paraquat lawsuit, the lawyers at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can represent your best interests. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a Maine Paraquat lawsuit attorney.