Parkinson’s disease is a severe, degenerative condition that causes serious physical, financial, and emotional harm. Many factors can contribute to this disease – but scientific evidence shows that Paraquat, a popular herbicide, may cause this condition. If you developed Parkinson’s disease after being exposed to Paraquat, the Louisiana Paraquat lawsuit attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you hold the manufacturer accountable.
Why Hire Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC for Your Louisiana Paraquat Lawsuit?
- Our Paraquat lawsuit lawyers have over 20 years of experience representing injured clients nationwide.
- Our firm specializes in dangerous and defective product litigation, including Paraquat lawsuits.
- We represent people in every state, including Louisiana, and partner with leading personal injury and mass tort firms to provide your case with the representation you deserve.
What Is Paraquat?
Paraquat is a popular but highly toxic herbicide in the United States. Because it can be fatal if ingested and must be applied carefully, only licensed purchasers can buy and use Paraquat. It is sold under several brand names, including Bonedry, Ortho-Paraquat, and Devour.
Does Paraquat Cause Parkinson’s Disease?
Studies have linked Paraquat exposure to the development of the degenerative neurological condition Parkinson’s disease. According to a letter from the Michael J. Fox Foundation, a leading Parkinson’s advocacy group, a study of rural California residents found that people exposed to Paraquat as a teen or young adult had a 200–600 percent higher chance of developing this condition than the average person. In the event you or a loved one was recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s and have been exposed to Paraquat, reach out to a Louisiana Paraquat lawyer immediately to learn your legal options.
Stages of Parkinson’s Disease
There are five stages of Parkinson’s disease. The disease is progressive and worsens over time:
- Stage 1 Parkinson’s involves symptoms that affect one side of the body.
- Stage 2 Parkinson’s involves worsening symptoms that affect both sides of the body, but the patient retains independence.
- Stage 3 Parkinson’s involves mid-stage symptoms, such as loss of balance.
- Stage 4 Parkinson’s involves worsening symptoms that are severe, and the patient is unable to live alone.
- Stage 5 Parkinson’s is the most severe stage, and the patient is often unable to walk or stand.
Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease
The first symptom of Parkinson’s disease involves shaking or tremors that begins on one side of the body. Other signs include the following:
- Slowed movement
- Rigid and stiff muscles
- Impaired posture and balance
- Speech and writing changes
- Loss of automatic movements
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Paraquat Lawsuits in Louisiana?
In Louisiana, you have one year from the date of your Parkinson’s disease diagnosis to file a lawsuit against a Paraquat manufacturer. If you and your Louisiana Paraquat lawsuit attorney do not file this claim by the proper deadline, the court will likely dismiss your case.
Louisiana Paraquat Lawsuits
If you developed Parkinson’s disease after being exposed to Paraquat, you have the right to file a lawsuit against its manufacturer. Through this claim, you can recover compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. However, you will need to prove that the herbicide’s defective nature caused your condition and resulting losses.
In these situations, the Louisiana Paraquat lawyers at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. Our attorneys have access to the expert witnesses, scientific evidence, and legal knowledge necessary to fight for your right to maximum recovery.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Louisiana Paraquat Lawyer
Were you exposed to Paraquat? If you develop Parkinson’s disease after this event, you may be eligible for legal action. Contact Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC today to schedule a free consultation with a Louisiana Paraquat lawsuit attorney.