Paraquat is a dangerous herbicide that may lead to the development of Parkinson’s disease. If you believe your condition was caused by Paraquat exposure, Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. Our Kentucky Paraquat lawsuit attorneys can represent you in your claim against the chemical’s manufacturers, securing the compensation you need to treat your condition.
Why Hire Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC for Your Paraquat Lawsuit?
- Our firm has recovered millions of dollars on behalf of our clients, proving that we are dedicated to securing maximum compensation in your case.
- We hold over 20 years of experience in product liability and mass tort litigation, and will leverage our knowledge, skills, and resources to strengthen your claim.
- We will maintain a direct line of communication throughout your case so that you can ask questions and raise concerns.
What Is Paraquat?
Used by farmers and other commercially licensed users, Paraquat is a toxic chemical that kills weeds and unwanted plants. It is also used for the desiccation of certain crops, such as cotton, before harvesting. Despite being banned in 32 countries around the world due to its harmful effects, Paraquat is widely used across the United States, including Kentucky.
Does Paraquat Cause Parkinson’s Disease?
Research suggests that exposure to Paraquat may lead to Parkinson’s disease. According to a letter from the Michael J. Fox Foundation, a Parkinson’s advocacy organization, studies show that people who were exposed to Paraquat as young adults had a risk of developing Parkinson’s disease that was 200–600 percent higher than the general population. Paraquat may cause damage to the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is linked to the development of Parkinson’s disease.
Stages of Parkinson’s Disease
There are five stages of Parkinson’s disease, which are classified by symptom severity.
- Stage one Parkinson’s involves mild symptoms that affect one side of the body.
- Stage two Parkinson’s involves symptoms that affect both sides of the body.
- Stage three Parkinson’s involves worsening symptoms, such as loss of balance and falls.
- Stage four Parkinson’s involves severe and limiting symptoms, and patients are unable to live alone.
- Stage five Parkinson’s patients require around-the-clock care and are unable to stand without assistance due to debilitating symptoms.
Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease
Some of the most common symptoms of Parkinson’s disease include the following.
- Tremors and shaking
- Slowed movement
- Rigid muscles
- Loss of automatic movements, such as blinking or smiling
- Speech and writing changes
- Impaired posture and balance
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Paraquat Lawsuits in Kentucky?
If you believe you are eligible for a Paraquat lawsuit, it is important to act quickly. In Kentucky, you have one year from the date of your diagnosis to file a lawsuit against a Paraquat manufacturer. If you do not file your claim within this time period, the court will likely dismiss your case.
Kentucky Paraquat Lawsuits
If you developed Parkinson’s disease after being exposed to Paraquat, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the herbicide’s manufacturer. Through your claim, you can recover compensation for the medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, lost earning capacity, and other damages you sustained due to your condition. To determine if you are eligible for litigation, speak to a Paraquat attorney at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC as soon as possible.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Kentucky Paraquat Lawyer
Have you been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease after Paraquat exposure? You may be eligible for litigation. Contact Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC today to discuss your options with a Kentucky Paraquat lawsuit attorney.