Paraquat is a popular herbicide used widely in the United States – and evidence shows that it may cause the development of Parkinson’s disease. If you were diagnosed with this condition after Paraquat exposure, you have the right to file a lawsuit in Florida civil court. In these situations, the Florida Paraquat lawsuit attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you hold the manufacturer accountable.
Why Hire Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC for Your Florida Paraquat Lawsuit?
- Our Paraquat lawsuit attorneys have over 20 years of experience representing clients in their dangerous and defective product claims.
- Our firm represents plaintiffs in every state, including Florida, and partner with leading firms to provide comprehensive legal representation to our clients.
- Our Florida Paraquat lawyers has secured millions of dollars in settlements and jury verdicts and is dedicated to achieving maximum recovery.
What Is Paraquat?
Paraquat is an herbicide that is effective in removing unwanted weeds and plants. Since it is a restricted use chemical, only farmers and other commercial entities with the proper licenses can purchase and use Paraquat. It is sold under a number of brand names, including Bonedry, Devour, and Blanco.
Does Paraquat Cause Parkinson’s Disease?
There is evidence that links Paraquat exposure to Parkinson’s disease. According to a study from the American Journal of Epidemiology, people who lived within 1,600 feet of where Paraquat was applied had a significantly higher risk of Parkinson’s disease. Another study found that people exposed to Paraquat as teens or young adults had a 200–600 percent higher risk of developing this condition.
Stages of Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease is classified into five distinct stages:
- Stage 1 is the mildest and patients retain independence.
- Stage 2 involves worsening symptoms that affect both sides of the body.
- Stage 3 is considered mid-stage and daily tasks become more difficult.
- Stage 4 is limiting, and patients are unable to live alone.
- Stage 5 is the most debilitating and patients are often bedridden.
Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease
Common symptoms of Parkinson’s disease usually include the following:
- Tremors and shaking
- Slowed movements, also known as bradykinesia
- Rigid and stiff muscles
- Impaired posture
- Balance difficulties
- Changes in speech and writing
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Paraquat Lawsuits in Florida?
If you believe your Parkinson’s disease is linked to Paraquat, it is important to act quickly. Florida has a four-year statute of limitations for Paraquat lawsuits; if you or your Florida Paraquat lawyer do not file your claim within four years of your diagnosis, the court will likely dismiss your case.
Florida Paraquat Lawsuits
If you developed Parkinson’s disease after being exposed to Paraquat, you may be eligible for financial compensation. Through a Florida Paraquat lawsuit, you can hold the manufacturer accountable for your losses and recover damages for medical expenses, lost wages, and more.
However, you will need to prove that Paraquat is defective, that Paraquat caused your Parkinson’s disease, and you used the product as the manufacturer intended. These elements can be difficult to establish if you do not have the resources or legal experience necessary to navigate your claim.
In these situations, the Florida Paraquat lawsuit attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can fight for your right to recovery and help you prove each of these elements. We have access to the scientific evidence, expert witnesses, and resources you need to present a compelling case in Florida court.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Florida Paraquat Lawyer
Have you been exposed to Paraquat? You may have grounds for legal action, and the attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. Contact us online to schedule a free consultation with a Florida Paraquat lawsuit attorney.