Paraquat is a toxic herbicide that has been linked to the development of Parkinson’s disease. If you were exposed to Paraquat and later diagnosed with this condition, you may be eligible for a lawsuit against its manufacturers. In these situations, the South Dakota Paraquat lawsuit attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. Our Paraquat lawyers will work diligently to help you secure the compensation you deserve.
Why Hire Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC for Your South Dakota Paraquat Lawsuit?
- Our firm represents clients in every state, including South Dakota, and has over 20 years of experience in mass tort litigation.
- Our South Dakota Paraquat lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in settlements and jury verdicts.
- We specialize in dangerous product litigation and will leverage our experience, skills, and resources to craft a compelling case in your favor.
What Is Paraquat?
Paraquat is a popular herbicide widely used in the United States but banned in many countries. This is because Paraquat is highly toxic and is often fatal if ingested. Farmers and other commercial users must hold a license to purchase and handle Paraquat, and its applications are severely restricted.
Does Paraquat Cause Parkinson’s Disease?
According to a letter from the Michael J. Fox Foundation, researchers have linked Paraquat exposure to an increased risk of Parkinson’s disease. One study of farmers found that those who handled Paraquat had an at least 200% higher chance of developing Parkinson’s disease than others. Another study found that people exposed as teens or young adults had a 200% to 600% higher risk. Speak with a qualified Paraquat lawsuit attorney to learn if you can recover compensation for your Parkinson’s diagnosis.
Stages of Parkinson’s Disease
There are five stages of Parkinson’s disease:
- Stage 1 symptoms are mild and generally affect one side of the body.
- Stage 2 symptoms begin to affect both sides of the body and make daily tasks more difficult.
- Stage 3 symptoms include loss of balance and slowness of movements, significantly impairing tasks.
- Stage 4 symptoms are severe and make it difficult for a person to complete daily activities without assistance.
- Stage 5 symptoms are advanced and debilitating, and patients often require around-the-clock care.
Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease
Symptoms of Parkinson’s disease include the following:
- Slowed movements
- Rigid and stiff muscles
- Impaired posture
- Balance difficulties
- Speech and writing changes
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Paraquat Lawsuits in South Dakota?
According to South Dakota’s statute of limitations laws, you or your South Dakota Paraquat lawsuit attorney have three years from the date of your Parkinson’s disease diagnosis to file a Paraquat lawsuit. The court will likely dismiss your case if you miss this deadline.
South Dakota Paraquat Lawsuits
If you were exposed to Paraquat and later developed Parkinson’s disease, you may be eligible for financial compensation. By filing a lawsuit against Paraquat’s manufacturers, you can recover compensatory damages for the physical, financial, and emotional losses you sustained due to your condition.
Common types of damages available in South Dakota Paraquat lawsuits include the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of future earnings
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Live-in care
- Disability accommodations
In these situations, the South Dakota Paraquat attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you gather the evidence you need to prove the manufacturer’s liability and secure the compensation you deserve. We will work closely with you to craft a compelling case in your favor.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a South Dakota Paraquat Lawyer
If you have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease after Paraquat exposure, you are not alone and help is available. Contact Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC today to schedule a free consultation with a South Dakota Paraquat lawsuit attorney.