The herbicide Paraquat may lead to Parkinson’s disease. If you were diagnosed with this neurological condition after being exposed to Paraquat, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the herbicide’s manufacturers. In these situations, the Iowa Paraquat lawsuit attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can fight for your right to recovery.
Why Hire Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC for Your Paraquat Lawsuit?
- Our firm has over 20 years of experience representing injured clients in all 50 states, including Iowa.
- We have secured millions of dollars in settlements and jury verdicts for our clients. We will advocate aggressively for your maximum possible recovery.
- Living with Parkinson’s disease can be painful. Your attorney will handle all aspects of your case so you can focus on treatment, not complex litigation.
What Is Paraquat?
Paraquat is a toxic herbicide used by commercial farmers and other entities to kill unwanted plants. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Paraquat is a restricted use chemical and can only be purchased by commercially licensed users. There are several products that contain Paraquat, including the following.
- Para-Shot 3.0
Does Paraquat Cause Parkinson’s Disease?
Several studies show that Paraquat may cause Parkinson’s disease. According to the Michael J. Fox Foundation, teens and young adults who were exposed to Paraquat while they were young had a risk of developing Parkinson’s disease that was between 200 and 600 percent higher than normal. Other studies show that Paraquat may cause harm to the production of the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is linked to Parkinson’s disease.
Stages of Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease is a degenerative condition, and healthcare professionals categorize this disease into five distinct stages.
- Stage one Parkinson’s disease involves mild symptoms that do not usually interfere with daily activities.
- Stage two Parkinson’s disease is characterized by worsening symptoms that make daily tasks more difficult and lengthier.
- Stage three Parkinson’s disease involves loss of balance and slow movements. Falls are common at this stage.
- Stage four Parkinson’s disease leads to severe and limiting symptoms. Patients are unable to live alone.
- Stage five Parkinson’s disease is the most severe and debilitating stage. Patients are often bedridden and require around-the-clock care.
Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease symptoms often begin slowly and worsen over time. Common signs of this condition include the following.
- Rigid, stiff muscles
- Slowed movements
- Loss of balance
- Speech and writing changes
- Impaired posture
- Loss of automatic movements
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Paraquat Lawsuits in Iowa?
If you believe that you may qualify for a Paraquat lawsuit, it is important to speak to an attorney as soon as possible. Under Iowa law, you have two years from the date of your Parkinson’s disease diagnosis to file your claim. If you do not file by this deadline, the court will likely dismiss your case.
Iowa Paraquat Lawsuits
Victims of Paraquat exposure can seek justice through a lawsuit against the herbicide’s manufacturer. Through an Iowa product liability claim, you can recover compensation for the losses you sustained due to your Parkinson’s disease, including medical expenses, live-in care, lost wages, emotional distress, and more. The Paraquat lawsuit attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you secure the settlement you deserve, using expert witness testimony, tested case strategies, and scientific evidence to prove your right to recovery.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Iowa Paraquat Lawyer
If you believe your Parkinson’s disease diagnosis is related to Paraquat exposure, the attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. Schedule a free consultation today to discuss your legal options with an Iowa Paraquat lawsuit attorney.