A cancer diagnosis can disrupt your life, leading to chronic pain, invasive treatment, expensive medical bills, and a host of physical, financial, and emotional damages. If someone else’s negligence is responsible for your cancer, you deserve justice — and if you used to take the weight loss medication, Belviq, you may be eligible for a lawsuit in Wisconsin court.
Belviq may raise patients’ risks of lung, pancreatic, and colon cancer. Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC represents Wisconsin plaintiffs in their claims against Belviq’s manufacturer, Eisai, Inc. If you believe you qualify for legal action, speak to one of our attorneys.
How Our Firm Can Help
- Our firm has over 20 years of experience fighting for the rights of injured patients across the country. We have handled hundreds of dangerous drug claims.
- We understand how expensive cancer treatment can be. That’s why our attorneys dedicate themselves to maximizing your recovery. We will explore every pathway to achieve optimal compensation.
- We co-counsel with leading personal injury and mass tort firms in Wisconsin, ensuring that you receive the best possible representation.
Who Is Eligible for Belviq Litigation?
Belviq and its active ingredient, lorcaserin, may contribute to a higher risk for cancer among its patients. In 2010, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) rejected lorcaserin for use among human patients, citing concerns over a study where male rats exposed to the medication developed tumors.
After the FDA approved Belviq in 2012, the agency asked its manufacturers, Eisai, Inc., to conduct follow-up research on its cardiovascular effects. Instead, this study revealed 7.7% of Belviq patients developed cancer — a significant difference from 7.1% of the placebo patients in the same time period.
If you are a former Belviq patient, you may be eligible for financial compensation through a lawsuit in Wisconsin civil court. However, you will need to meet three important criteria before you can file your claim.
- You developed cancer that originated in your lungs, pancreas, or colon.
- Your doctor diagnosed you with this cancer within seven years of taking Belviq.
- You took Belviq for at least six months. This period does not have to be consecutive.
Proving a Belviq Claim in Wisconsin
To qualify for a Belviq lawsuit, you must have developed lung, pancreatic, or colon cancer within seven years of taking the medication. However, simply receiving a cancer diagnosis is not enough to secure a settlement in your claim against Eisai, Inc. You and your attorney will need to gather enough evidence to prove four crucial facts.
- You developed lung, pancreatic, or colon cancer.
- Belviq or Belviq XR is defective.
- Belviq or Belviq XR’s defect directly caused your cancer.
- You were using the medication as the manufacturer intended.
Since many Belviq lawsuits are still in their early stages, you need an attorney with access to cutting edge research and medical experts who can validate your claims. The lawyers at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC are currently working on Belviq litigation for former patients across the country, including Wisconsin. We can leverage these resources to benefit your future claim, helping establish this necessary evidence.
Contact a Wisconsin Belviq Lawyer Today
Are you a former Belviq or Belviq XR patient? You may be eligible to file a Belviq cancer lawsuit against Eisai, Inc. The attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC are currently working on this developing litigation, and we have the skills and resources you need to seek justice.
Contact us today to schedule your consultation with our Wisconsin Belviq lawyers. We offer our attorney consultations at no cost or obligation to you.