The weight loss drug Belviq may lead to colorectal, pancreatic, or lung cancer among its patients. Results from a clinical study show that Belviq patients have higher rates of these cancers than placebo patients, and its manufacturers voluntarily withdrew the drug from the market in February 2020.
If you took Belviq for at least six months and developed one of the three forms of cancer within the next seven years, you may qualify for financial compensation. Trust the Texas Belviq lawsuit attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC to represent your claim. We take clients nationwide.
Why Choose Shapiro Legal Group
- Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC has over 20 years of experience in mass tort representation. We have developed the skills and strategies necessary to fight for your recovery.
- Our Belviq recall lawyers represent victims in all states, including Texas, and California. We co-counsel with top personal injury firms to ensure you receive the strongest representation possible.
- Our firm has secured millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. Our attorneys dedicate themselves to fighting for your maximum possible settlement.
How Can a Texas Belviq Lawsuit Lawyer Help?
If you are filing a claim against a large drug manufacturer, you need a legal expert on your side. A Texas Belviq recall lawyer from Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can provide a number of benefits for your case.
- We partner with top personal injury attorneys to provide comprehensive, compelling representation.
- Your lawyer will have access to a network of experts who can provide specialized testimony, including medical professionals.
- Undergoing cancer treatment and filing a lawsuit alone can be daunting. Your attorney will handle all of the necessary processes so you can focus on your healing.
- Most lawsuits settle out of court. Your attorney will have the experience and skills necessary to negotiate with large corporate legal counsel.
What Is Belviq Used For?
Belviq is a weight loss medication for people who struggle with obesity, but do not see results with diet and exercise alone. Belviq works by targeting areas of the brain that control appetite, suppressing hunger and helping reduce calorie intake.
Why Is Belviq Being Recalled?
In 2012, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Belviq with a stipulation: that the manufacturers of the drug conduct a clinical study on Belviq’s impact on cardiovascular health. Weight loss drugs often have heart-related side effects, and the study’s results revealed that Belviq patients had similar rates of adverse cardiovascular events as placebo patients.
However, the study also revealed a higher rate of cancer among Belviq patients, with an incidence rate of 7.7% as opposed to the placebo group’s 7.1%. While the difference is small, it points to a disturbing trend. The FDA asked Belviq’s manufacturers to recall the drug in response to this data.
What Are the Grounds for a Texas Belviq Lawsuit?
Proving a lawsuit against a drug manufacturer requires you to establish the presence of negligence. The manufacturer has a duty of care to ensure that their medications do not cause these life-threatening conditions, and once you establish this negligence occurred, you will need to prove that the medication directly caused your injuries and damages.
To qualify for a Belviq lawsuit in Texas, you will need to prove that you developed pancreatic, colorectal, or lung cancer within seven years of taking the medication. You will need to have developed the cancer after taking Belviq for a period of at least six months. These months do not need to be consecutive.
Damages in a Belviq Lawsuit
You can collect both economic and non-economic damages in your lawsuit, all of which must relate to cancer. Common damages in drug negligence lawsuits include the following.
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Chronic pain
- Depression and anxiety
- Loss of quality of life
- Emotional distress
Contact Shapiro Legal Group Today | Free Consultations
If you developed cancer as a result of using Belviq, the Texas mass tort attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. We provide legal representation to victims of Belviq across the United States, and our firm will use the full extent of our resources to fight for your recovery.
Contact Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC today to schedule your free consultation with a Texas Belviq lawyer.