Finding out you have cancer can be a devastating experience. You can face high medical expenses, emotional turmoil, and severe physical pain from the disease and treatment alike — and if you discover that you developed cancer due to a defective medication, the experience can become even more daunting.
Belviq and Belviq XR, two weight loss medications, may contribute to a higher risk of certain cancers in its patients. If you received a cancer diagnosis after taking these drugs, Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. We represent Massachusetts residents in their lawsuits against Eisai Inc., the manufacturer of Belviq and Belviq XR.
How Our Belviq Injury Attorney Can Help
- We have over 20 years of experience helping thousands of people seek compensation for their injuries. Our Belviq Lawsit attorneys will advocate for your maximum possible recovery each step of the way.
- Our lawyers have extensive courtroom and negotiation experience. We can advocate for your rights with confidence during each stage of your lawsuit and are available to clients nationwide.
- Proving a drug liability claim requires access to medical experts who can provide insight on your injuries. Our attorneys have developed relationships with expert witnesses across the country who can testify on your behalf.
Proving a Belviq Claim in Massachusetts
To file a lawsuit against Eisai Inc., you will need to prove a series of important facts. First, you will need to prove you developed colorectal, pancreatic, or colon cancer. Next, you must prove Belviq or Belviq XR is dangerous or defective in some way. Finally, you will need to establish that Belviq is the cause of your cancer.
Since most Belviq lawsuits are still in their early stages, proving these elements can be a difficult task without an attorney on your side. By hiring an attorney working on Belviq litigation, you can gain access to valuable information on other Belviq cases and medical expert witnesses who can provide testimony on your behalf.
What to Do If You Are a Belviq Patient
When Eisai, Inc. voluntarily recalled Belviq and Belviq XR in February 2020, the company asked patients to stop using the drugs immediately. If you are still taking Belviq or Belviq XR, discontinue use as soon as possible and take any extra medication to a drug takeback program near you.
If you cannot access a takeback program, take the following steps to dispose of your extra pills safely.
- Mix the extra Belviq pills with an inedible, unappealing substance. Cat litter, dirt, and used coffee grounds are safe choices.
- Place the mixture in a sealed container, and dispose of it in your household trash.
- If you have prescription bottles, remove the label or censor all personal information with a permanent marker. Throw or recycle the bottles afterward.
If you received a cancer diagnosis at least seven years after taking Belviq, you may qualify for litigation against Eisai, Inc. Collect all documents related to your cancer diagnosis, and speak to a lawyer at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC to determine whether you are eligible to file a claim.
Contact Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC Today
Medication manufacturers must ensure that their drugs are safe for human consumption — and if they do not uphold this duty, they may be liable for the damages you suffer. If you developed cancer after taking Belviq, Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you seek justice for your injuries.
Our Massachusetts Belviq lawyers have the resources and knowledge necessary to craft a compelling case for your right to compensation. To learn more about your legal options, contact Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC today to schedule a free consultation.