Maryland doctors often prescribe supplementary medications like Belviq and Belviq XR to patients who struggle with their weight. While we may trust our doctor’s recommendations, not all medications are safe — leading to risks that far outweigh the intended benefits.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recalled Belviq in February 2020, citing a study that showed an increased risk of cancer among Belviq patients. If you were a former Belviq patient, the attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you recover the compensation you deserve.
How Our Belviq Injury Lawyer Can Help
- Our firm has over 20 years of mass tort and personal injury legal experience, helping thousands of clients seek justice for their injuries.
- We represent clients nationwide, including Missouri. We partner with top Missouri injury and mass tort firms to provide the comprehensive, informed representation you deserve.
- You will need medical evidence to back up your Belviq claim, and our attorneys have access to cutting edge research developments and medical evidence to prove your need for damages.
What Damages Are Available to Belviq Victims?
Research from Belviq’s post-approval study found that 7.7% of patients who took the weight loss medication developed cancer, compared to 7.1% of control group patients. In particular, Belviq use may contribute to a higher risk of colon, pancreatic, and lung cancers.
These diseases are serious, especially in their later stages. They often require invasive surgeries and intense treatments that result in severe side effects, such as chemotherapy. The physical, financial, and emotional damages of Belviq-related cancer can have a serious impact on your life, which is why Maryland allows you to collect all economic and non-economic damages related to the disease.
Economic damages refer to your financial losses, such as all past and future medical bills, lost wages, and loss of future earnings and benefits. Non-economic damages involve the intangible losses you suffer due to cancer, such as physical pain, disability, psychological trauma, and loss of quality of life.
Do You Need a Maryland Belviq Lawyer?
Since claims against Eisai, Inc. are still in their early stages, hiring a Belviq recall lawyer who is familiar with ongoing litigation is a necessary step. A Maryland Belviq attorney can provide several benefits to your case, including the following.
- Your attorney will be familiar with emerging research surrounding Belviq and its carcinogenic effects. He or she can leverage this information to support your claim.
- You will need medical experts who can testify on your behalf and validate your evidence, and your lawyer will have connections to these expert witnesses.
- With a dangerous drug claim, you will likely face large corporate legal teams in the courtroom and in negotiations. Your attorney will have the experience and skills necessary to face these lawyers in the courtroom, advocating for your best interests during each stage of your case.
Contact Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC Today
Belviq lawsuits can be difficult to handle alone. You need an attorney on your side — and Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can fight for your right to recovery. Our attorneys have the skills, resources, and experience necessary to maximize your settlement and protect your interests.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our Maryland Belviq lawyers. We respond to all appointment requests within 24 hours.