Belviq and Belviq XR are medications that doctors prescribed to patients who struggled with losing weight through diet and exercise alone. Although the intended impact of Belviq was weight loss, another serious side effect has come to light — an increased risk for cancer.
If you are a former Belviq patient who developed colorectal, lung, or pancreatic cancer, Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you obtain the financial compensation you deserve.
Contact Shapiro Legal Group
- Location isn’t a barrier for representation. Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC offers legal representation to clients nationwide, including Florida.
- We have over 20 years of legal experience in mass tort litigation, specializing in defective and dangerous drugs like Belviq.
- Our firm believes responsiveness and open communication are vital for mass tort cases. We will always answer any questions you may have and inform you of important updates in your case.
Common Belviq Cancer Symptoms
A study published after the FDA approved Belviq and Belviq XR revealed that the drug may increase users’ risk of certain cancers. In particular, Belviq patients may develop colorectal, lung, and pancreatic cancers within seven years of taking the drug for at least six months. These results caused the FDA to ask Belviq’s manufacturers to withdraw the medication from the market, and the company recalled Belviq in February 2020.
While symptoms vary from patient to patient, there are certain signs that a patient may have one of these cancers. Common symptoms of these cancers include the following.
- Colorectal cancer symptoms may involve rectal bleeding, abdominal pain, anemia, unexplained weight loss, and thin stools. This cancer may also cause serious gastrointestinal issues, including constipation and diarrhea.
- Pancreatic cancer may cause jaundice, dark-colored urine and light-colored stools, belly or back pain, and a loss of appetite that leads to weight loss. Nausea and vomiting, along with gallbladder or liver enlargement, may also occur.
- Lung cancer symptoms include a worsening cough, chest pain, hoarseness, loss of appetite, coughing up blood, fatigue and weakness, and unexplained weight loss. The onset of additional infections, such as bronchitis, is also common.
How to Prove a Belviq Lawsuit in Florida
Proving a defective drug lawsuit requires you and your attorney to supply sufficient evidence to establish certain facts. Unlike personal injury lawsuits, product liability claims do not require you to prove the manufacturer’s negligence. Instead, you must prove the following elements.
- You suffered an injury or developed an illness.
- The drug in question was defective in some way or didn’t include adequate warnings.
- The specific defect or insufficient warnings directly caused your injury or illness.
In the case of Belviq, you will need to prove that you developed one of the three types of cancer within the appropriate time period and Belviq is responsible for these injuries.
Since Belviq is a relatively new drug and litigation against the manufacturer is in the early stages, you need an attorney on your side with access to the resources necessary to prove your claim. Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC is on the cutting edge of Belviq litigation in Florida, and can connect you with medical experts who can validate your injuries.
Contact a Florida Belviq Attorney Today
Were you diagnosed with cancer after taking Belviq or Belviq XR? You deserve compensation for your losses — and the nationwide mass tort attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC are here to help.
With decades of experience in mass tort litigation and strong partnerships with leading co-counsel, you can trust our firm to advocate aggressively on your behalf. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.