Why Choose a Mesothelioma Lawyer?
- Mark Shapiro has been handling cases such as Mesothelioma, for more than 2 decades.
- Our mesothelioma attorney only specializes in mass tort litigation, giving us insight and specialized knowledge to handle your case.
- At Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC, the mass tort attorney ensure that any negligent parties are held responsible for your injuries by pursuing the maximum possible compensation you need to make a full recovery.
Dangers of Asbestos Exposure – Mesothelioma
Asbestos began to be mined and used commercially in North America at the end of the nineteenth century, and through much of the twentieth century was widely employed in many US industries. Unfortunately, asbestos exposure has been linked to very serious conditions, including a very serious form of cancer called Mesothelioma. Symptoms of asbestos exposure may not begin to present themselves until ten to forty years after exposure.
Mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer that strikes the mesothelium, the protective membrane that lines many of the body’s organs, in most cases the pleura (the lung lining), but also the peritoneum (the lining of the abdominal cavity), the pericardium (the heart sac), and the tunica vaginalis (the testis sac);
Asbestos can also cause asbestosis, lung cancer, throat cancer, kidney cancer and esophageal cancer. Asbestosis is a serious, progressive, long-term, non-cancer lung disease, which can lead to mesothelioma.
Who’s at Risk of Asbestos-Related Diseases?
Beginning in the late 1970s, rules were put in place to ensure safety around asbestos. But you may be at risk of asbestos-related disease if for an extended period before that time you:
- Worked a union job
- Worked as a miner
- Worked as an aircraft or automotive mechanic
- Worked for a railroad
- Worked for a shipyard
- Worked in construction
- Worked in building demolition
- Maintained or operated a boiler
- Served in the military (particularly the Navy)
You may also be at risk of asbestos-related disease if you:
- Have participated in extended rescue, recovery, and cleanup efforts following a building collapse, such as those resulting from the 9/11 terrorist attacks
- Have lived or worked in an older building during a lengthy renovation or asbestos removal
- Have lived near an asbestos milling or manufacturing operation
- Have shared a residence long-term with someone regularly exposed to asbestos
- Have shared a workplace long-term with someone regularly exposed to asbestos
What Can I Do?
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with or suspect you have the symptoms of mesothelioma or other asbestos-related disease, contact the Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC for a free consultation. You may be entitled to legal compensation for medical expenses, funeral expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering from an employer, product manufacturer, or another negligent party.
Asbestos-related lawsuits have driven many companies into bankruptcy, but you can still get compensation from asbestos trust funds they were required to establish for future claimants. Existing companies may settle out of court if asbestos exposure can be confirmed. Veterans unable to pursue legal action with the Veterans Administration may still be able to make a direct claim against a product manufacturer.
Contact Our Mesothelioma Lawyer Today for a Free Consultation
Our mesothelioma attorney from Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you decide if and when to pursue legal action and advise you of any timing considerations for a settlement. Contact our mass tort firm today at (888)640-3784 or fill out this form to get started with your free consultation.