Many Indiana residents want to lose weight, but do not see progress through a healthy diet and regular exercise. Doctors can prescribe supplemental medications in these situations, such as Belviq or Belviq XR. However, recent research shows that Belviq may raise patients’ risk of cancer — and if developed this condition after taking Belviq, you may be eligible for financial compensation.
Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC represents Indiana residents in their lawsuits against Belviq’s manufacturer, Eisai, Inc. Clients across the country trust our attorneys to fight for their best interests from consultation to settlement.
How Our Lawyers Address Injury Cases
- Our firm has over 20 years of legal experience in both personal injury and mass tort litigation, honing skills and strategies that we can apply to your lawsuit.
- Dangerous drug lawsuits require medical expert testimony and cutting edge research to prove. We have access to a wide range of resources to craft a compelling claim in your favor.
- At Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC, we value consistent communication and transparency. We will always answer your questions and inform you of any important updates.
Which Cancers Does Belviq Cause?
Belviq and Belviq XR’s active ingredient is lorcaserin hydrochloride, which may be able to support weight loss in conjunction with a healthy diet and regular exercise. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) initially rejected lorcaserin in 2010 after evidence suggested that the drug caused tumors in male rats, but eventually approved the medication in 2012.
After Belviq’s approval, the FDA requested Eisai, Inc. to conduct a study on the drug’s cardiovascular risks. The study revealed a 7.7% cancer incidence rate among Belviq patients. In particular, Belviq patients may have higher risk of three cancers: lung, colon, and pancreatic.
- Pancreatic cancer can cause weight loss, fluid in the abdomen, nausea, fatigue, loss of appetite, and dark urine.
- Lung cancer symptoms include chest pain, chronic cough, blood in the saliva, chest pressure, weakness, and frequent respiratory infections.
- Colon cancer may lead to abdominal pain, blood in the stool, sudden changes in bowel habits, and fatigue.
Compensation for Belviq Cancer Victims
Cancer can be a very expensive condition to treat. Depending on the stage of the disease and where the cancer is located, treatment options may include chemotherapy, surgeries, medications, and many other targeted therapies. This care requires patients to take time off work to attend appointments or undergo hospitalization. In addition to the financial losses, cancer can cause physical pain, emotional trauma, and a loss of quality of life.
If you believe Belviq is responsible for your cancer, you are eligible to recover all of these damages in a lawsuit against Eisai, Inc. Indiana allows victims of dangerous medications to collect compensation for several losses related to the drug-induced injury, including the following.
- Lost wages and loss of future earnings
- Past and future medical expenses
- Physical pain and suffering
- Psychological pain and suffering
- Transportation to and from medical appointments
- Disability accommodations, if applicable
Contact Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC
Are you fighting cancer after taking Belviq or Belviq XR? Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can guide you through the litigation process, helping you recover the compensation you need to heal. Our Belviq recall lawyers are on the cutting edge of Belviq cancer research and have the resources and skills you need to face the manufacturers in the courtroom.
Contact our firm today to speak with an Indiana Belviq lawyer. We offer free, no-obligation consultations to discuss your legal options.