If you want to lose weight and do not see results with diet or exercise alone, your doctor may prescribe a weight loss medication to help improve your outcome. One of these drugs, Belviq, worked to suppress appetite receptors in the brain — but clinical trials show that the medication may also increase your risk of cancer.
New York Belviq patients deserve recovery, and Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC is here to help. Our Belviq recall lawyers will advocate aggressively for your right to compensation, allowing you to recover from your losses.
Why Choose Us
- Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC believes in consistent communication throughout the lawsuit process. We are available to answer any questions you may have and guide you through the case process.
- Our firm has over 20 years of experience in mass tort litigation, ensuring we have the experience and skills necessary to advocate for your best interests.
- We represent Belviq victims nationwide, including New York state. Our firm partners with top personal injury law firms to create a strong legal strategy for your compensation recovery.`
What Is Belviq?
Belviq is a weight loss medication that helps suppress appetite receptors in the brain, helping patients avoid overeating. In tandem with a healthy diet and regular exercise, Belviq allowed some patients to shed weight at a faster rate.
What Is the Difference Between Belviq and Belviq XR?
Belviq XR is the name of the extended-release version of the Belviq medication. With regular Belviq, patients had to take a tablet two times per day. With Belviq XR, patients took one dose per day.
The Recall of Belviq
After its initial approval in 2012, the FDA required Belviq’s manufacturers, Eisai Inc. to complete a five-year clinical trial on the drug’s cardiovascular impact. While the resulting study revealed no impact on cardiovascular health, the data also revealed a higher rate of certain cancers among Belviq patients than the placebo group — 7.7% versus 7.1%.
In response to this information, the FDA asked Eisai Inc. to withdraw the medication from the market. Eisai Inc. complied with this request in February 2020.
What Are the Grounds for a New York Belviq Lawsuit?
To prove a lawsuit against a drug manufacturer, you will need to prove that you took the medication, that the medication led to additional injury or illness, and that you can collect compensation for your losses.
If you developed pancreatic, colorectal, or lung cancer within seven years after taking Belviq or Belviq XR, you may be eligible to pursue financial compensation through a lawsuit against the manufacturer of these drugs. You will need to have taken Belviq or Belviq XR for at least six months, which do not have to be consecutive.
How a New York Belviq Attorney Can Help
Facing a corporation in the courtroom can be difficult without an attorney on your side. Trusting a Belviq lawyer from Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can provide you with a number of valuable benefits.
- Your lawyer has the skills necessary to negotiate with large corporate legal teams and advocate for your best interests in the courtroom.
- Navigating the litigation process can be difficult while recovering from cancer. Your lawyer will handle the entire process so you can focus on recovery, not paperwork.
- Your attorney will have access to medical experts who can help validate your claims and prove your need for damages.
Contact Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC
Did you receive a cancer diagnosis after using Belviq? Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. Our attorneys will represent your best interests in the courtroom and at the negotiating table, advocating aggressively for your right to compensation during each stage of your case. Contact us today to discuss your potential claim with a New York Belviq lawyer.