Belviq and its once-a-day formulation, Belviq XR, are medications that help patients who struggle with obesity and cannot lose weight with diet and exercise alone. The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this medication in 2012 — but in February 2020, the agency asked manufacturer Eisai, Inc. to remove Belviq from the market after a post-approval study revealed the medication may raise patients’ cancer risk.
If you are a Belviq cancer victim, Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. We can represent your defective drug lawsuit in Oklahoma civil court, fighting aggressively to achieve fair compensation for your physical, financial, and emotional losses.
Why Choose Us
- Belviq lawsuits can be very complex. Our firm has over 25 years of litigation experience and can guide you through each step of the process, allowing you to focus on recovery.
- We represent injury victims nationwide. Our attorneys co-counsel with top personal injury and mass tort firms to ensure you receive the strongest representation possible.
- Our firm prides itself on our responsiveness to our clients. We will always inform you of important updates in your claim and answer any questions you may have.
Legal Options for Oklahoma Belviq Victims
After the FDA asked Eisai, Inc. to withdraw Belviq and Belviq XR from the market, many former patients across the country began to explore their legal options. You may qualify for a Belviq lawsuit if you meet the following criteria.
- You took Belviq or Belviq XR for at least six months. These months do not need to be in a row.
- You developed cancer in the colon, lungs, or pancreas. The cancer must have originated in these organs.
- You received your cancer diagnosis within seven years of taking Belviq.
In Oklahoma, you can file a lawsuit against Eisai, Inc. to recover compensation for the damages you suffered as a result of the cancer. You must file your lawsuit within two years of receiving your diagnosis; if you file after this deadline, the court will likely dismiss your claim.
How to Prove a Belviq Lawsuit in Oklahoma
All drug manufacturers have a responsibility to their patients to ensure their medications are safe and to warn patients about all potential side effects. Eisai, Inc. failed to warn patients about this heightened cancer risk, and as a result, you have the right to claim compensation for the damages you suffered.
To prove a Belviq claim, you and your attorney will need to gather enough evidence to prove four important facts.
- You developed cancer.
- Belviq or Belviq XR is defective.
- Belviq or Belviq XR caused your cancer.
- You used Belviq or Belviq XR as the manufacturer intended.
You can use several pieces of evidence to prove your claim. Your medical records will be the foundation for your case, so make sure to save all documentation related to your cancer and previous Belviq use. Your attorney can also contact medical expert witnesses to testify on your behalf, validating the nature of your injuries and providing evidence to establish the defect.
Do You Need an Oklahoma Belviq Injury Attorney?
Belviq may raise patients’ risk of colon, lung, and pancreatic cancer, and if you received a diagnosis within seven years of taking this medication, you may qualify for financial compensation — and Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help.
Our attorneys represent Belviq victims nationwide, including Oklahoma, and we will advocate for your right to recovery during each stage of litigation. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and discuss your next steps.