Many people who struggle with their weight turn to medications to aid in their health journeys. Unfortunately, some of these medications lead to dangerous side effects — particularly Belviq and Belviq XR. A post-approval study from the drugs’ manufacturers suggest these medications may contribute to cancer risk.
If you are a Virginia resident who developed cancer after taking one of these medications, you may be eligible for financial compensation. Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC’s Belviq lawsuit attorneys can help you fight for the funds you need to recover.
Why Our Belviq Lawsuit Lawyers in Virginia
- Our firm believes open communication is vital to defective drug litigation. We will respond to any questions or requests you may have promptly and efficiently.
- We have over 20 years of experience in mass tort and personal injury litigation. Our attorneys are prepared to fight for your rights in the courtroom and at the negotiating table.
- Our attorneys co-counsel with top firms nationwide to ensure you receive the best possible representation for your Virginia Belviq lawsuit.
Do You Qualify for a Belviq Lawsuit?
Eisai Inc., an American subsidiary of Japanese pharmaceutical company Eisai Co., Ltd., recalled Belviq and Belviq XR in February 2020 after the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviewed its post-approval clinical trial. The FDA discovered that patients in the study’s placebo group had a cancer risk of 7.1%, while Belviq patients had a cancer risk of 7.7%.
While you may have cancer and be a former Belviq patient, only certain individuals qualify for litigation against Eisai, Inc. Your cancer may be Belviq-related if you meet the following criteria.
- You received a colorectal, pancreatic, or lung cancer diagnosis.
- You took Belviq or Belviq XR for a period of at least six months, which do not have to be consecutive.
- You received your diagnosis within seven years of taking Belviq or Belviq XR.
What Damages Can You Collect in a Belviq Lawsuit?
The compensation you collect in a Belviq claim will vary depending on the circumstances of your case. In Virginia, you can pursue compensation for your tangible economic losses and the intangible pain and suffering you endure. All of the damages you claim must relate to your Belviq-related cancer.
The bulk of your settlement will likely involve your past and future medical expenses, including the following.
- In-home caregivers
- Accommodations to your home or vehicle
- Physical and psychological therapies
- Transportation to and from your appointments
You can also collect compensation for the following economic and non-economic damages.
- Lost wages while you receive treatment
- Loss of future earnings if you cannot return to work
- Funeral and burial expenses, in the event of death
- Chronic pain and disability
- Loss of quality of life
- Emotional distress
- Depression, anxiety, and other mental health conditions
Calculating the compensation you deserve is an important step in the Belviq lawsuit process. Your attorney from Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC will work with you to determine all of your pathways to maximum recovery, avoiding lowball settlement offers and advocating for the highest settlement possible along the way.
Contact Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC
At Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC, we believe injured people deserve compensation from the entities responsible for their losses. If you developed cancer after using Belviq for a period of six months or more, you may be eligible for this compensation — and our Virginia Belviq attorneys are here to help.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about your legal options.