In September 2019, online pharmacy Valisure discovered that some batches of heartburn medication Zantac and its generic version, ranitidine, contained dangerous levels of the cancer-causing chemical N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA).
The company informed the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of its discovery, and the agency issued a recall for prescription and over-the-counter Zantac in April 2020. If you are a former Zantac patient who developed any type of cancer after taking this drug, you may qualify for legal action.
The New York Zantac attorneys at Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you seek justice. We represent injured New York patients who developed Zantac-related cancers, and our attorneys can help you seek the justice you deserve.
Why Choose Us
- Our firm holds over 20 years of legal experience representing clients in injury claims nationwide, including New York.
- Dangerous and defective drug cases can be difficult to prove, but our firm specializes in this type of litigation. We will apply our knowledge, skills, and strategies to the furthest extent to secure the compensation you need.
- We partner with leading personal injury and mass tort firms in your area to ensure you receive the most comprehensive representation possible.
Who Can File a Zantac Lawsuit?
Former Zantac patients report developing multiple types of cancer after using this medication. These include bladder cancer, colon cancer, esophageal cancer, and prostate cancer. Some patients had to have their kidneys or bladder removed as a result of these complications.
If you developed any type of cancer after taking prescription or over-the-counter Zantac for at least one year, you may qualify for litigation against the drug’s manufacturers. You must also meet the following eligibility criteria.
- No more than 10 years has passed since you received your cancer diagnosis and took your last dose of Zantac.
- You began to use Zantac no less than three years prior to diagnosis.
- You took name-brand Zantac, not a generic version of ranitidine.
- You are not a regular cigarette smoker.
New York Statute of Limitations for Zantac Lawsuits
When you decide to pursue legal action against Zantac’s manufacturers, you will file a product liability claim in New York civil court. Filing a lawsuit allows you to collect compensation for your cancer-related losses, which may include medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering damages.
However, New York imposes strict deadlines on civil lawsuits through a law known as the statute of limitations. If you fail to file by the statute of limitations, the court will dismiss your claim — removing your chances at collecting compensation. For this reason, it is very important to ensure you file by the correct deadline.
You have three years from the date of your injury to file a product liability claim in New York. Since you may not know that you developed cancer until a later date, the law specifies that you must file within three years after the date you knew or had reason to believe that you developed cancer due to Zantac. To protect your right to compensation, speak to a New York Zantac lawyer to determine your exact filing deadline.
Contact Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC
If you believe you meet the criteria for a Zantac lawsuit, Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help. Our attorneys represent injured Zantac patients nationwide, including New York. We will handle your case from consultation to settlement so you can focus on your recovery, not complex litigation.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and discuss your legal options with a New York Zantac lawyer.