Bedsores, also known as pressure ulcers, are a severe and often painful condition that primarily affects people confined to a bed or wheelchair for extended periods. These injuries occur when sustained pressure cuts off circulation to vulnerable areas of the body, leading to tissue damage or even necrosis. In nursing homes, the development of severe bedsores can be a telltale sign of neglect or abuse.
Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC, specializes in representing victims of nursing home neglect and abuse in New York City. If you or a loved one has suffered due to substandard care in these facilities, our New York City bedsore attorney can help you seek the compensation that you deserve. Schedule a free case consultation today and learn more about how our New York City bedsore attorney can help.
Why Choose Our New York City Bedsore Attorney
- At Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC, we represent clients who have suffered serious injuries due to the negligent acts of others. We are dedicated to pursuing justice on your behalf and will work tenaciously to hold the nursing home accountable.
- Bedsore injuries can result in a host of damages, and our firm will fight to recover the compensation that you deserve. We have helped thousands of clients secure fair settlements and jury verdicts.
- After developing bedsores, we understand how painful and strenuous the road to recovery can be. Our NYC bedsore attorneys will provide the compassionate support that you need during this time, allowing you or your loved one to focus on recovery.
What Rights Do Bedsore Victims Have?
Patients and residents in hospitals and nursing homes are entitled to a certain standard of care, which includes proactive measures to prevent the formation of bedsores. In New York City, these facilities must reposition residents frequently, provide adequate nutrition and hydration, and take other steps to avert these risks. When there is a failure to provide this level of care, resulting in bedsores, it constitutes a breach of duty.
When negligence causes bedsores, victims may have the right to seek compensation for the harm that they suffered. Bedsore lawsuits can involve various legal areas, such as medical malpractice, nursing home abuse or neglect, and in severe cases, wrongful death.
At the conclusion of a successful legal claim, victims can recover a settlement to pay for their medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other losses associated with their bedsores. In these situations, it is important to consult with an attorney who can review the case, determine the appropriate course of legal action, and advocate for victims’ rights and fair compensation.
Symptoms of Bedsores
Recognizing bedsores, especially in their early stages, can be challenging. However, prompt treatment can help prevent a bedsore from escalating into a serious and life-threatening condition.
Common symptoms of bedsores include:
- Draining pus from the affected area
- Noticeable temperature differences in the skin, either warmer or cooler
- Tenderness in specific skin regions
- Changes in skin color and texture
- Swelling at the site of the bedsore
Why Do Bedsores Occur in New York City Nursing Homes?
Bedsores develop primarily due to prolonged pressure on specific body parts, a common issue for people who are immobile due to illness, injury, or age. In nursing homes, where many residents are bound to their beds or wheelchairs, bedsores are a common issue, and caretakers are required to take preventative measures.
Regular repositioning is essential to maintain proper blood circulation, and failure to do so can lead to tissue death and the formation of ulcers. Another leading cause of bedsores in nursing homes is the delayed response to incontinent residents, leaving skin exposed to acidic substances like urine, which breaks down skin tissue.
The risk of bedsores increases when a person is malnourished or dehydrated, making it imperative for nursing homes to ensure adequate nutrition. Unfortunately, not every facility upholds these responsibilities. This neglect can result in painful, rapidly developing bedsores, potentially leading to serious infections or even death.
Stages of Bedsores
Bedsores are categorized into four stages, with each classification reflecting an increase in severity. This ranges from red, unbroken skin in the first stage to deep injuries affecting muscles or bones in the fourth, most severe stage.
Early detection and treatment of bedsores are key to effective healing. However, in cases that involve neglect in nursing homes, bedsores can often go unnoticed until they reach advanced stages, causing significant pain and becoming difficult to treat.
The stages of bedsores include:
- Stage 1 Bedsores: This is the least severe and most treatable stage, characterized by skin discoloration, soreness, itching, or burning sensation. The affected area does not blanch or turn pale when pressure is applied and shows minor changes in texture and temperature.
- Stage 2 Bedsores: At this stage, the sore breaks through the top layer of the skin, forming an open, shallow wound. Symptoms include noticeable pain, possible drainage, and the presence of a clear or yellow blister.
- Stage 3 Bedsores: These sores extend through the skin’s top two layers and into the underlying fatty tissue. Signs include a crater-like appearance, foul odor, pus, and unusual drainage.
- Stage 4 Bedsores: Representing the most severe stage, these sores extend into deeper tissues, such as muscles, tendons, or even bones. Symptoms include extreme pain, visible dead skin tissues, potential exposure of bones and muscles, and a high risk of infection.
How Our New York City Bedsore Attorney Can Help
At Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC, we understand the challenges faced by victims of bedsore-related incidents. Nursing facilities have a duty to provide patient-centered care, and when they don’t, our firm is dedicated to holding them accountable for the harm that they cause. Navigating a bedsore lawsuit alone can feel overwhelming and intimidating, which is why you need a bedsore lawyer who can guide you through the process.
Our New York City bedsore attorney can help in many ways, such as:
- Thoroughly investigating the circumstances leading to the bedsore
- Identifying and holding accountable the responsible parties
- Exploring all legal options to ensure rightful compensation
- Assisting in managing the complexities of personal injury law
- Providing guidance and support throughout the legal process
Call Our New York City Bedsore Lawyer Today
Lawsuits involving bedsores require professional representation. At Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC, we specialize in holding nursing homes accountable for bedsores, offering personalized legal support and relentless advocacy.
If you or your loved one has suffered from bedsores due to neglect, our New York City bedsore attorney can help. Contact us today at (800) 220-0984 to discuss your case and explore your legal options.