A bedsore is more than just a painful skin condition—without timely and proper medical care, these injuries can escalate into hazardous health issues. When left untreated, bedsores can advance from mild irritation to severe wounds, exposing patients to risks of infection and other serious complications. The presence of bedsores often points to a deeper issue of neglect in care facilities, highlighting a breach in the duty of care owed to residents.
At Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC, our firm is dedicated to protecting those who have faced the repercussions of nursing home neglect in California. Our California bedsore attorney is committed to advocating for victims’ rights and ensuring they receive the justice they deserve. If you or your loved one is suffering from bedsores due to substandard care, we encourage you to schedule a free consultation today to learn how we can help.
Why Select Our California Bedsore Lawyer?
- Our firm understands the impact that a bedsore injury can have on your or your loved one’s life. We will advocate aggressively for your right to maximum compensation, protecting your best interests during every stage of your case.
- Holding a nursing home liable for a bedsore can be a challenging process. Our firm has a deep understanding of the laws and regulations that govern these facilities and will leverage our knowledge to craft a compelling case in your favor.
- Openness and honesty are part of our core values. We will maintain a line of communication with you throughout your case so that you can raise important questions and receive updates about your case.
How Bedsores Occur in Nursing Homes
Bedsores, medically known as pressure ulcers, are injuries to the skin and underlying tissue resulting from prolonged pressure on the skin. They typically develop on skin that covers bony areas of the body, such as heels, ankles, hips, and tailbones. These ulcers can cause severe pain and significant damage if not treated promptly and appropriately.
In nursing homes and long-term care facilities, bedsores are a common yet preventable condition. They often occur when residents, who may be unable to move independently, are not repositioned regularly by the caregiving staff. Bedsores are also caused by poor hygiene, inadequate nutrition, and dehydration.
Lack of basic care can lead to the development of bedsores and their progression into serious, sometimes life-threatening conditions. When families place their loved ones in the care of a facility, they trust that they will receive the necessary daily care. Failure to prevent bedsores is a breach of this trust and the duty of care owed to the residents.
Why Should You Hire a Bedsore Attorney in California?
If you or a loved one has developed bedsores due to nursing home negligence, you may have grounds for legal action. In California, victims of this neglect have the right to file a lawsuit against the responsible caretakers and their employer—often the facility itself.
However, navigating a bedsore case without legal expertise can be a daunting and often futile endeavor. Nursing homes and their insurers are adept at deflecting blame and minimizing their liability. In these situations, you need a California bedsore attorney on your side who can help counteract these tactics and fight for your right to justice.
Hiring an attorney can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case. A lawyer from Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can support your lawsuit in several ways, such as:
- Ensuring a thorough investigation to gather evidence and build a strong case
- Demonstrating to the care facility and its insurers that you are serious about seeking justice
- Accurately calculating the full extent of the damages for which your loved one is eligible
- Guiding you through the legal process and preventing common mistakes that could jeopardize your case
- Providing peace of mind and allowing you to focus on the well-being of your loved one
Determining Liability for Bedsore Injuries
In a bedsore lawsuit, liability may extend to various parties within the nursing home facility. This may include the owners, administrators, caretaking staff, and even manufacturers of medical devices, if equipment failure contributed to the bedsores.
To prove negligence and recover compensation, however, the following elements must be established:
- Duty of Care: Caregivers have an obligation to prevent harm, including bedsores, by performing duties such as regular repositioning of immobile patients.
- Breach of Duty: This occurs when the standard of care is not met, such as failing to regularly check and maintain the hygiene of a patient.
- Causation: The injury must be directly linked to the breach of duty, showing that the neglect led to the development of bedsores.
- Damages: The victim must have suffered damages from the breach that he or she can recover in the lawsuit, including medical expenses and pain and suffering.
What Compensation May Be Available in Your Case?
Bedsores can have a significant impact on a person’s quality of life and overall health. As a result, the amount of compensation awarded in these lawsuits can be substantial, reflecting the physical, financial, and emotional toll of the injuries.
Your attorney from Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC can help you identify all potential damages and calculate your estimated settlement, which may cover:
- Medical expenses for treating the bedsores
- Costs for psychological care due to trauma
- Expenses related to relocating or rehousing the affected individual
- Compensation for pain and suffering endured
- Funds for ongoing care and treatment for persistent symptoms
How Much Time Do You Have to File a Lawsuit?
In California, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including those for bedsores, is generally two years from the date of the injury. However, this period may be extended if the injury was not immediately discovered. In these cases, the statute allows for one year from the date the injury was or should have been discovered. It is crucial to be aware of these time limits, as failing to file by the appropriate deadline can result in the loss of the right to compensation.
Speak to Our Experienced California Bedsore Attorney Today
In California, victims of bedsores deserve strong legal representation. Shapiro Legal Group, PLLC brings a wealth of experience and a commitment to justice for those affected by nursing home negligence.
If you or a loved one has suffered bedsores, our firm can guide you through your legal journey and fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today at (800) 220-0984 for a free consultation with a California bedsore attorney.